Translate

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

My First Day Alone at Home

August 17, 2010

Today was my first complete day at home by myself. Last Thursday, I drove my baby, NeNe to college in Virginia. 2769.5 miles, 8 states, and 5 days on the road, just so I could experience having my home to myself. When I reach the Texas border last night, my older daughter Gee called to let me know she and her girls were at my home waiting on me. I thought, for what, go home. Well they went home because Gee didn't want to wait the 3 hours for me to arrival. YAY!!

I've been planning and anticipating my emptynest since August 2007. I really can't remember what I was doing, but I read something and this warm, peaceful feeling came over me. You see, I've been a single parent for 25 years. The one year I was married to the "Nightmare" doesn't count. We married in January, he started acting crazy in May, his spawn of satan daughter came in June, we, my girls and I, moved out in August. See I told you it didn't count. Anyway back to me. I have lived with someone all of my life, 47-3/4 years. I have been a daughter, sister, aunt, live-in girlfriend, and mother.

Now that NeNe is gone off to college I will be able to find my deodorant, with the lid intact, my lotions, perfumes, earrings, hair combs and brushes (by the way, while we were unpacking her items, she swiped my latest hair brush), I will know when I'm down to the last bar of soap, I will not get a surprise when I walk into the pantry and there isn't any toilet paper (UUGGGHHH), I won't hear giggling throughout the night, no more surprise slumber parties, there will be shampoo, there will be shampoo (had to say it twice), etc. I could list things for days.

A lot of people think I will be very lonely with my daughters and/or granddaughters living with me, but not true. I have enjoyed every single moment of motherhood, the good, the bad, and those moments when I knew for sure my girls were not going to make it to their 18th birthdays. I thank God for allowing me to love myself enough to want to be around myself, by myself.

I have to admit that I became very emotional at work last Wednesday because I was overwhelmed by the idea of being blessed to send my child off to college. I was sitting at my desk crying. During that time not one person walked by my desk, so I was able to enjoy my emotional high. I texted NeNe and Gee that I was crying. NeNe replied "Oh, don't cry, it'll be alright...but right now I need you to help me with my clothes because I can't get them in the suitcases." Gee replied, "Well I was just getting ready to ask you to say a prayer for my job interview." My girls, oops, young ladies, nope my girls.

So why did I decide to start a blog? I'm not sure. But here I am sitting and writing. I'm not sure how often I'll post something, I just know it will cover my emptynest. And for those of you that keep saying it would be funny if I get pregnant, that stuff isn't funny. Besides, I decided to abstaining from sex until marriage. I'm wife material not girlfriend or sideline material. I'm done giving away free samples.

No comments:

Post a Comment