Translate

Sunday, February 10, 2013

I'm Not That Type of Grandmother

I've been a grandmother for 6-1/2 years. Unlike some grandmothers I know, I'm not the type that wants to spend every waking moment with them. Don't get me wrong, I love both my granddaughters dearly. I get excited when I see them, they cause my heart to leap. As much as I enjoy their visits, I enjoy it as much when they go home. If I were ever put into the position of raising them, I wouldn't hesitate; they are an extension of me. The older one is a little mature, she pretty much can entertain herself. The younger one is so rambunctious, we started calling her Chuckie. Yes, after the movie, not the pizza place. The girl is extremely active.

The summer of 2011, I took them on a 10 day roadtrip. We had so much fun together. The young one was only 2, she may not remember it. But the older one, still talks about. Says it was the best summer ever. Labor Day weekend 2012, I took Chuckie on a roadtrip to Omaha for her 3rd birthday. She sang every song on the radio. She talked about whatever popped in her head. 30 minutes outside of Omaha, she mentally lost it, she started screaming at the top of her lungs. I busted out laughing, which in turn caused her to laugh. I couldn't get mad because she had maintained herself for 11-1/2 hours in a car, strapped in a carseat. While in Omaha, she developed a bond with my mother, her Big Granny.

For Thanksgiving 2012, I had a strong need to take them to Omaha to see their other great-grandmother Mary Holloway. I'm so glad I took them to see her and was able to obtain a photo of them, their great-grandmother passed away almost a month later. They will have the photos to remember her. 

We have Granny/Grands days, which consist of me spending time alone with them together or they each get time alone. We have gone shopping, out to restaurants, to movies, plays, etc. Kid stuff fun.

So I do quality things with, I just don't consume my life with them. I did that with my daughters. So when I say I'm not that type of grandmother, I mean I have instilled enough of me in my daughter that it will evidently one day come out. And as each year passes I see more of me in my daughter, their mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment