Translate

Thursday, April 4, 2013

26.2 Miles Equals A Road Trip By Foot - Part 1

As I've mentioned before, I never had any intentions of falling in love with running, but I did. Especially when the health benefits kicked in. I've decided to complete at least one full marathon so I will know for myself why people want to take a mini-vacation by foot.

This will be a series of my training experiences to be physically capable of completely my first full. If I like my first full, I might attempt to become a member of the Marathon Maniacs per the suggestion of one of my running buddies. The easiest way to accomplish membership is to participate in 3 full marathons within 90 days, hmmm.

I'm on week 3 of training. Weeks 1 and 2 didn't go too well. Week 1, I had my granddaughters and I was only able to get in one day of training. Week 2, was the beginning of daylight savings time, so my attitude was really rough. I have to be at the gym by 5 am, which means the latest I can be in bed is 10:30 pm. I never made it, it was always sometime after 11:30 pm, not good when I need to be up by 4:30 am.

Week 3, my body still has not adjusted to the workout hours. I missed one workout this week. I thought about making it up on Friday morning, but Friday morning, my body said heck no. I also started the task of deleting caffeine from my diet, again, I still haven't been successful. I have been having dizzy spells every morning, once I stumbled and my coworker caught me from falling. I've checked my blood pressure twice this week to make sure I wasn't being attacked by the silent killer. Thankfully my blood pressure was normal both times.

My training consists of four days in the gym, two days on the pavement. Mondays and Wednesdays, I do upper body weight toning. Tuesdays and Thursdays, I do lower body weight toning. Mondays also includes 30 minutes on the stationary bike with hill intervals. Wednesdays include 30 minutes on the elliptical with hill intervals. Tuesdays and Thursdays include treadmill running with hill intervals, one day is an easy day run and the other is at pace speed. Saturday mornings are considered my long run days. Sundays are my recovery days of walking 3 miles. I need to find time to add hot yoga every week and massage therapy after my races.

Most runners' training week ends with Sunday, so I've adopted that schedule. My training week ended with me completing the Rock N Roll Dallas Half Marathon. It was pretty cold outside, the wind chill had the temps in the 20s. Several BGR members were in town for the race. I started off pretty well, one of the BGR members from Maryland asked to keep pace with me, I agreed. The only problem, my pace was a lot faster than hers. By mile 8, I realized I was doing her more harm by trying to get her to keep up with me, so I stopped slowing down for her to get caught up to me.

Once I acrossed the finish line, I was cold, tired and had a major hamstring cramp. I was so glad my homeboy was waiting at the finish line, he was able to massage my leg. After walking around for awhile, he offered to take me to my car, yippee because I wasn't going to be able to make it standing in the long line at the train station. I stopped for breakfast, went home to shower, and sat on my bed relaxing the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment