Translate

Monday, June 10, 2013

26.2 Miles Equals A Roadtrip by Foot - Part 4

Week 11 (May 13-19): I'm so off track with my training it's ridiculous. I got in two training days this week, almost 3 miles on Saturday and the Disco 10K at Fair Park on Sunday. The almost 3 miles occurred because my stomach had the bubble guts. It was amazing I made it that far. As for the Disco 10K, my running buddies Brenda and Cheryl pulled me through the entire race. I couldn't have finished with 1:10 without them. And they saved me on Saturday too. Brenda was showing off her new skills of endurance she has gained from her personal trainer. She had me strongly considering getting a trainer.

Week 12 (May 20-26): This week I was able to do some extra activities at home and I made it to the gym two days. The gym staff missed me and so did some of the early morning regulars. They all gave me that where have you been look. I missed my Saturday long run because I attended a graduation. My plan was to run my miles Sunday morning before church, but my cycle started a week early, I was in severe cramps by Saturday night. I went out Sunday night, had a glass of wine and decided to make it my last glass of wine or any liquor until after my marathon in September.

Week 13 (May 27 - June 2): I made adjustments to my training schedule to accommodate my change in my work and school schedules. I have to limit my time in the gym to one hour. I need to be walking out of the gym by 6:30 a.m. every other week. Which means I have to shower and dress fast. I'll practice on Tuesday because today, Monday, I'm still cramping and I refuse to take anymore Aleve. I've also decided to really work on my diet. I've decided to go back on the South Beach Diet because it teaches you how to eat for life. I still incorporate some of the eating habits I learned the first time I tried it.

I made to our BGR Saturday neighborhood run, in time to take the group photo. I was scheduled to run 4 miles, I didn't want Bobbie running by herself so I extended my distance to 6 miles. Bobbie has untapped talent that's unknown to her. After my run, I headed to the gym. If I stopped too long, I would be done for the day. One of the training articles I read recommended weight training after long runs to build strength. Well, I had too much strength and energy, I missed my Saturday nap.

Week 15 (June 3-9): Yes, a week has been skipped because I realized, while reviewing my training schedule, the weeks were off. Which has caused me to do some poor planning on my part. For instance, I have to run 14 miles this weekend and I'm scheduled to run the Wounded Warrior 10K on Sunday. I can say this, if I can complete both with a descent speed, then I will be able to attempt a double day half marathon. I've stayed on track with my training. If I missed my morning workout, I went in the evening. I didn't stick with the South Beach Diet, but I did eliminate using sugar, pasta and bread. I did slip on the soda usage. No slips on the wine or liquor. I attended a function and I only drank cranberry juice and decaf coffee. My body is sore from increasing my reps on the weights, it hurts to sit down, my butt that is. I need to add yoga every evening because stretching on my own just ain't doing it.

This week's training ended with the Wounded Warrior 10k. When I left my house the sky was clear. By the time I made it to Irving, it was storming, heavy rain, thunder and lightning. The race would either be canceled or delayed. The race director gave us an hour delay to make sure the lightning was gone. Unfortunately, the run path had some flooding and we had to take several muddy detours. I paced with several BGR members that were faster than me, it helped with my time. I finished 6.2 miles in 1:06, I shaved off 4 minutes from my last 10K. The first part of the course, I walked through the water/aid stations. After mile 4, I started my 3:1 intervals. I wasn't exhausted or overworked. But I did make the decision to move my marathon to one that is local because I have a stronger running support system here in Dallas verses Omaha. You have to be a runner to understand how it feels to see several people you know either passing you or you passing them. The comradeship we have after finishing, to know at least one person that will wait at the finish line until you cross it.

So my training has been changed and I will begin another journey to add the completion of a full marathon to my bucket list. 30 weeks is like a pregnancy, here I go again.

No comments:

Post a Comment